Nazarian Double Seals Overtime Win For Giants

The Stena Line Belfast Giants overcame a two-goal deficit to defeat the Dundee Stars in overtime, with a goal from the returning Greg Printz and a brace from Ara Nazarian giving Adam Keefe’s side the win at The SSE Arena, Belfast.


A fast start from both sides saw the in-form Jackson Whistle and Lucas Brine trade impressive saves at either end of the ice, with the home side seeing two good attempts from Mark Cooper and Ben Lake denied by the Stars netminder in the early goings.

Despite a raft of early chances for the Giants, it was the visitors who took the lead when James Phelan’s one-timer put the Stars 0-1 up against the run of play. (0-1)

The Giants responded well to going behind, and came agonisingly close to levelling the game just before the end of the period, when Lake’s back handed effort sailed a fraction wide of the Stars net.


Having dominated both shots and possession throughout the opening period, the Giants picked up where they left off as Cooper saw another good chance go amiss. Brine’s fine form also continued as the Stars netminder made an important early save, denying Ara Nazarian with a big glove.

Having successfully defended an early Giants powerplay, which saw the returning Greg Printz’s fine pass put just off target by Oliver Cooper, the Stars went on the offensive, and doubled their lead through Xavier Pouliot’s deflected effort. (0-2)

After Adam Keefe called a timeout, Daniel Tedesco and Ben Lake went closest to shortening the deficit, but a stellar defensive shift from the Stars made sure that the Giants remained empty-handed.

The Giants’ sustained pressure was finally rewarded as Will Cullen picked out the returning Greg Printz who put away his 11th goal of the season. (1-2)


Although the visitors were certainly not resting on their laurels and were looking for the goal that could put the game to bed, it was the home team that came out of the blocks fastest in the final period, with Bobby MacIntyre, Josh Roach, and Travis Brown all seeing good chances batted away by the Stars defence in the opening 10 minutes.

A back-and-forth contest saw Brine continue to stand firm between the Stars pipes as the Giants notched 40 shots for the game. But it was his counterpart Whistle who made a crucial save to deny Anthony Rinaldi on the counter.

After some patient build-up play, Ciaran Long’s precision pass found Ara Nazarian, who tucked it home to level the game with two minutes remaining. (2-2)


After both sides secured a hard-earned point, it was Ara Nazarian’s second goal of the game that gave the Giants the win in overtime, completing a fine comeback for Adam Keefe’s team. (3-2)

Next up, the Stena Line Belfast Giants make the trip to Kirkcaldy to take on the Fife Flyers on Sunday 24 March, before returning to The SSE Arena, Belfast in a week’s time to face off against the Glasgow Clan on Saturday 30 March. Tickets are available to purchase here.

Scroll to Top